look into the mirror of the other
Twos take us from the sole oneness of Ace to the introduction of an other + watery Cups represent feelings and relationships.
And so, in its upright or balanced position on the spectrum, the Two of Cups is a coming together in relationship — whether a partnership of some sort or as the integration of parts within the self. It invites us to look into the mirror of the other and see ourselves reflected back. Can you accept what you see? This card’s most fundamental message relates to the age-old advice that you will not find love in another if you can’t find it within yourself. It’s important to remember that this card isn’t necessarily about romantic love, but about relationships and love of all kinds, including self.
In resistance, we find incompatibility between the two, or we separate. We may be rejecting a part of ourselves. It may also hint at an independence which rejects others.
In excess, we become dependent on another to compensate for a perceived lack in ourselves which we see reflected. Co-dependency.
Questions we may ask when this card comes up include
- What part is preventing you from reaching out due to pride or fear?
- What attracts you to another person in friendship, collaboration, love, etc.?
- What irks you in another person in friendship, collaboration, love, etc.?
- What painful event from the past do you need to make peace with in order to heal and move on?
- How do you balance solitude and connection with others?
What else? Of course, this is just a sampling of this card’s spectrum, and you may have other insights. How do you see this card? How has it come up for you? Feel free to share in comments.