step free of limiting beliefs
Eight brings new direction or realignment + Swords represents the mental realm of our belief systems and communication
And so, in the centered or balanced aspect of the Eight of Swords, it’s time to step out of the mental constructs and limiting beliefs which hold us back. The blindfold in the Smith-Waite card indicates denial; if we choose to remain fenced in by fears, doubts, and judgements, it’s self-imposed, and we’re invited to liberate ourselves from thinking that we’re trapped or bound in some way. There is a way forward. Breathe and step into it.
(This is not to make light of the fact that some are truly imprisoned and/or oppressed in some way, and this card can certainly come up in those situations; but in keeping with the focused inner lens of shadow work here in this series, we’ll save that for another post.)
In resistance, we remain in denial of our own autonomy, our inner development paralyzed.
In excess, we play the damsel in distress. How does that serve us?
Questions we may be prompted to ask when this card comes up include
- What beliefs limit your momentum?
- Are you allowing others’ judgements to impact you?
- What fears hold you back from speaking your truth?
- Is your ability to communicate stifled? How or why?
- Where do you need to step up?
- How has playing the victim served you in the past?
- Is there an exiled part ready to integrate and take on a new role?
What else? You may have other insights into the complexities of this card. How has it come up for you?