follow the heart of your true Self
The Fool is the unnumbered trump linking the first and last cards of the major arcana. Zero is the potential in the void; it’s both nothing and everything.
The Fool may be considered to represent the Self and the process of individuation; your pure potential. Often portrayed walking along a mountain path, the Fool is following the guidance of the inner voice. We are implored to “jump and the net will appear,” but that demands trust. Might we have some trust issues?
(-) In resistance, self-doubt prevents us from trusting that inner voice of the soul. Risk-averse, we take ourselves or the situation too seriously and deny our inner kid its expression. Where The Fool should be creative energy, it becomes instead the avoidance of those experiences which may further growth, resulting in rash, impetuous behaviors or clowning around to avoid taking direct action. Perhaps we have a resistance to starting a new cycle of development.
(+) In excess, we leap impetuously without regarding the consequences, maybe believing that everything we encounter is “meant to be.” While spontaneity shouldn’t be suppressed, our actions become irresponsible, reckless, thrill-seeking.
Questions we may be prompted to ask when this card comes up include
- Do you trust your own judgement?
- What’s stopping you from living your best life?
- What leap would you take if you knew you couldn’t fail? What prevents you?
- Where have others taken advantage of you?
- Where have others discouraged your interests or pursuits?
- What is the worst that can happen if you fail?
- Do you tend to take yourself too seriously, or not seriously enough?
- What is the most important thing you’ve never done?
What else? The archetypes of the majors are complex and you may have other insights. How has this card come up for you?