face your own truth to rebalance the scales
At card 11, we find ourselves squarely in the balanced center of the Major Arcana as the scales of Justice assure us that all is in divine order. As the Wheel of Fortune’s lesson of realizing our own part in matters rolls into Justice, we must face our own truth. Justice cannot abide dishonesty. Its karmic nature asks us: What choices have we made, attitudes adopted, expectations held to get us to this moment? True justice brings with it true humility, and asks us to confront it so that we may rebalance where we’re able. Where there is injustice, how are we available to change it? How may we rebalance the scales?
(-) In resistance, we are blind to other sides of an issue. Biased in our beliefs about what is just, we are always in the right and can justify our actions; well-intentioned while others are always to blame. Angry, we may become victims in a wicked world when we allow obscurities, emotions, and incriminations to build up. It’s wise to remember that there is no room for emotion in justice.
(+) In excess, we are riddled with guilt over past actions or beliefs. We may compensate for this in self-righteousness, eager to display our moral superiority by correcting others.
Questions we may be prompted to ask when this card comes up include
- Is your truth in harmony with justice?
- Is there something for which you need to accept responsibility?
- Are you able to see both sides of an issue?
- Do you always feel the need to justify your actions or beliefs?
- What anger are you holding from some past injustice?
- Do you correct the beliefs or actions of others as a way to hold yourself up as exemplary?
- Are you experiencing the consequences of a past action? How can you compensate to balance it?
- Where do you feel guilt? What part is carrying this, and why? What action can you take to release it?
What else? The archetypes of the majors are complex and you may have other insights. How has this card come up for you? What are some examples of this card’s energies?