feel free to abstain
Four represents a place of stability + Cups deal with our inner worlds.
And so, in the centered position on the spectrum, the Four of Cups shows the offer of a cup, but we already have those other 3 Cups and are in no need of another, yet. We’re good, thanks. We may mull it over, but really don’t feel the need to accept another at this time. If the offer is meant for us, it will be made again. This card may indicate a stationary period, taking some time for ourselves, or abstinence; but we are content. Reluctance isn’t always a bad thing, and we must always trust that we can say “no.”
In deficiency or resistance, we’re apathetic or distrusting, emotionally closed off to the offer. Aversion. Disconnected and discontented. We may have settled into an emotional pattern or cut ourselves off from those around us, perhaps holding a grudge.
If the Cups signify our emotions in the card image, what emotion or memory or part are we refusing?
In excess, we are never satisfied, becoming too discriminating or picky; unappreciative of the goodness we have.
Questions to consider when this card comes up may include
- What or whom have you closed yourself off to?
- Is there a memory or feeling related to the matter that you’re repressing?
- Are parts of you unwilling to open up? How can you best tend and nurture them so that they feel heard and accepted?
- Or, are you ignoring a part?
- Where are you dissatisfied? Is this a pattern? What can you do about it?
- What role has rejection played in your life?
What else? There’s much to consider in this card, and you may have different insights. How has it come up for you? Feel free to share in comments.